Tuesday 22 June 2010

Banana bread

Just a little photo of mini-banana breads on my windowsill on a sunny day in Manchester. I baked this out of necessity more than inspiration. There were two overripe, spotted bananas in my fruit bowl on the verge of going mushy and brown.


Aren't the fushia carnations ever so pretty?

I scoured the internet for recipes and couldn't find one where I had all the ingredients. So I made this one up, and they were delicious!

2 ripe bananas
2 eggs
2 tablespoons of light "I can't believe it's not butter"
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
3 tablespoons of sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup + 1 tablespoon of plain flour
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of bicarbornate of soda

Mash your ripe bananas and set aside.

Mix the dry ingredients (flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda) into a bowl and set aside.

Blitz the "I can't believe it's not butter" in the microwave until melted, and add vegetable oil. Mix the sugar in the melted oil and mix very well so that the sugar is sticky from dissolving. Add vanilla extract and let the mixture cool.

Once the butter/sugar mixture is cool, add the eggs and mix in well. Add mashed bananas and mix again. This is the wet mixture.

Finally combine the dry ingredients with the wet mixture and mix well.

Pour into greased cupcake trays and top with chocolate strips, raisins and nuts - whatever you have in your kitchen - go insane!

Bake at 170 deg celcius for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

This "recipe" (more like me throwing leftovers together until I get the right batter consistency) yields wonderfully moist mini banana breads that are not too sweet. They're great warm but better cold!

No comments: