Monday 28 January 2008

Dear Lego, Happy 50th Birthday

On January 28, 1958, Godtfred Kirk Christiansen submitted a patent for the interlocking and studded plastic brick that can now be found in almost every child's toy box.

Seven boxes of Lego are sold every second around the world, and 19 billion components are produced each year -- enough to wrap around the Earth's circumference five times.

Thank you for all the years of feeding my imagination. I built houses, bridges, skyscrapers. I made animals and boats. I was a pirate, a homemaker, a chef of a restaurant. I ran a hospital, a school, a police station.

Funny though how I never built a law office. I guess Lego didn't make mini photocopiers and dictaphones :)

I bonded (and sometimes fought) with my younger siblings over Lego. Every time I walk past the newest Lego set in shops, I feel a pang of nostalgia.

I <3 Lego.

No comments: